York University is helping to shape the global thinkers and thinking that will define tomorrow. York is Canada’s third largest university, with a commitment to excellence which reflects a rich diversity of perspectives and a strong sense of social responsibility that sets us apart.
York U At A Glance 2013-14
About York U
- York U is the 2nd largest university in Ontario, 3rd largest in Canada
- 280+ university partnerships across the globe
- $940 million operating budget
- 7,000 faculty and staff
- 270,000+ alumni
- 5,000 international students from 177 countries
Located 30 minutes from downtown Toronto, the Keele campus offers a rigorous academic foundation balanced by real-world experiential education. More than 52,000 students from across the world are enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs.
Set on the historic Wood family estate, the Glendon campus is a lush parkland in the heart of Toronto offering an intimate learning community. Home to 2,700 students, Glendon specializes exclusively in the liberal arts, and is the only campus in Canada to do so in more than one language.
- 11 Faculties
- 5,000 courses, 100+ undergraduate and graduate degree programs
- 12,000 degrees granted in 2013
- The Schulich School of Business ranked first among Canadian schools in The Economist
- Home to Canada’s largest Liberal Arts program
- Offers the Greater Toronto Area’s only Digital Media program
- Osgoode Hall Law School internationally renowned as one of Canada’s largest and most distinguished law schools
- Home to Canada’s only Space Engineering program
- Largest psychology program in North America
- Ontario’s only Disaster & Emergency Management program (one of only two in Canada)
- Glendon campus is the only bilingual university campus in southern Ontario
Did You Know
Leading the way
With the founding of York U, Dr. Murray Ross (pictured here in 1960) realized his vision of a leading interdisciplinary research and teaching institution. Ross served as the University’s first president for a decade and went on to receive the Order of Canada, among other honours.
Gordon the groundhog
York is renowned for its diversity, but did you know our community includes such esteemed members as foxes, rabbits, geese, and campus favourite, Gordon the groundhog? Find out what Gordon’s up to on Twitter at @YorkUGroundhog.
York U Scrip
How did students purchase food on campus in 1974? They used York U currency called “scrip”! Traded at cash value, scrip was issued to all students on meal plans.
- 34 Canada Research Chairs*
- 26 Active Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada
- 27 Research Centres
- 26 Distinguished Research Professors
- 519 agreements facilitated by Innovation York in 2013
Our accomplished alumni span the globe making an impact in their fields and redefining leadership.
- Rachel McAdams, BFA ’01, Actress
- Rick Waugh, MBA ’74, LLD ’07, CEO, Scotiabank
- Dr. Roger Pulwarty, Physical Scientist, US National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, BSc ’86
- The Honourable Justice Michael Tulloch, BA ’86, LLB ’89
- Dr. Steve MacLean, Astronaut & Quantum Physicist, BSc ’77, PhD ’83, DSc ’93
- Sandie Rinaldo, Anchor, CTV National News Weekend Co-Host/Reporter, W5, BA ’73
- Joel Cohen, Writer & Producer of The Simpsons, MBA ’92
- Dan Riskin, Evolutionary Biologist & Television Show Host, MSc ’00
- Dan Kanter, Musical Director & Guitarist for Justin Bieber, BFA ’07
- Kathleen Taylor, Chair-elect, RBC, Osgoode Hall Law School, Schulich School of Business, JD/MBA ’84